Tuesday, September 15, 2009

An update!

I haven't blogged in such a long time, in fact I read so many other blogs and don't ever have the courage to really write how I feel plus I am a horrible writer. On that note, I returned to the College of Charleston this semester with full intent on graduating in May 2011 with a BS in Special education with an emphasis on emotional and mental disabilities. I would love to teach/work with children who have mental disabilities primarily down syndrome. This is dear to my heart because of Gabe's diagnosis and it makes me feel as though I am little bit closer to who or what he could have become. Now don't get me wrong, it isn't a walk in the park by no means, in fact after all the research I have done on down syndrome one would think I would know a little bit but there is so much more than just a definition and a bunch of characteristics. Sooo, classes have been good, stressful, and at times really sad. They have made me think a lot about what could have been with Gabe and the things that I never got to go through with him but the ironic part is that I don't think as much about the baby things like bringing him home, dressing him, caring for him but more about the things we would be doing with him because of his disability. There are so many people in my classes who are there for the same reasons as I and everyday there is a story about a friend, relative, and even a son or daughter (from the older students) who made the decision to enter this field to make a difference, and most of them have proudly told their stories. However, I don't think I am quite ready to tell everyone about my Gabe; plus I don't want everyone to see me cry!

Other than school, study, home, dinner, bed, maybe some tv at the end of the night..... my life is just pretty much uneventful. But happily uneventful!

1 comment:

Malou's Mama said...

What a wonderful tribute to Gabe! I wish I could find something like that to do for/in honor of Malou.